Saturday, November 2, 2013

Day 334

Most of the latest and upcoming posts aren't necessarily about things that occurred in chronological order. I've kind of just lumped things together by topic which seems to make more sense to me. This one will be about my Etsy sales. To me, Etsy is more interesting because I'm actually interacting with people more. What was odd about my sales at first was that they occurred in waves. Not in terms of being sporadic but in people ordering the same thing at the same time. So if you didn't know, I made a listing for most of the crayons I made so far. I list that there are multiple available and I make them to order. Anyway, back to the waves. And by waves, I mean like 2 or 3 so these waves aren't too big. I had to make a few R2D2s, then Stormtroopers, then Darth Vaders and then Totoros.

I mentioned previously that I was kind of sad that I would send away what I made and didn't get to keep a copy for myself. I also found out when I had to make the R2s that having an existing carving speeds up the duplication process since I could directly compare the two. So before doing the Stormtroopers, I decided that I would start making a copy for myself. It'll take some extra time but at least I won't have to do it again in the future. Also for everyone new carving I make, I can keep the best of the two. 


Because of that, one day I ended up having to make four Darth Vaders. Two were for customers, one for Senthil and one for myself. I was reminded of how much I dislike carving him. The geometry of his face is weird and hard to reproduce. It doesn't help that his helmet is big so I have to make the face smaller to be correctly proportionate. Also, carving black crayons is a pain because it's hard to see what I'm doing. It makes me want to increase the price so less people buy it.

These orders have been keeping me busy lately. I haven't been able to carve stuff that I want though. I can see that Star Wars crayons get ordered a lot while Adventure Time does not (younger audience with no money probably). I think if I did a Tardis from Doctor Who, it would sell similarly to Star Wars. I currently have 236 followers on Etsy and I'm sad that they haven't seen anything new in awhile. I'm kind of in a lull right now so hopefully I can do some new stuff and/or get back to modelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment