Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 256

I was getting tired working on Blastoise so I decided to switch things up. My next project idea I had was to make a miniature knight that is riding a mouse. Don't ask me where that came from. First up is to make the mouse. Mudbox has some built in models; one of which is a lizard which I thought I could easily change into a mouse. However, it needed some tweaks first. In Maya, I added in some ears. You don't really see much of a mouse's upper limbs so I deleted those areas and then reattached what was left to the body. I made the toe lengths more uniform and deleted one toe on each limb just to make it easier to work with. You can see the alterations above.

Next I was back in Mudbox. Taking that basic model, I roughed out the general shape of the mouse. Even with this low number of polygons, it's still easy to get the mouse look.

I increased the poly count and spent a lot of time on the feet and toes. I guess because I don't look at mice that often or that closely, the back feet just look bizarre to me.

Eventually, I reached a point while working on the head where I had to decide if this was going to be a realistic face or a cartoonish one. I ended up going with the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment