Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 265

Here is the final product. I added in a shiny layer to go along with the painted layers. You can, of course, see that in the eyes but there are also lines of shininess on the back and front shell and then a little bit of shine on the head and arms. I also changed the shell up a little since last time. For the creases between the plates, I was going to darken them. However for most sea turtles, the cracks are light/white so that's what I did here.

I wasn't sure what to color the water guns. Should I do yellow like the belly or orange like the back or both? Neither one looked right in my mind's eye. However, I couldn't leave it white since it was looking too bright. So I ended up painting them a very light yellow bone like color and left it at that. If you remember before, I had issues sculpting the hands and feet. Those same issues made painting those areas difficult too so I couldn't do too much work there.

Overall, it turned out better than I expected. I wasn't that happy with the model but after painting it, the colors hid imperfections that I saw. Things just look better in color. The funny thing is that I don't particularly like painting; I'm more into modelling. So when I started painting this, I had no idea what I was doing and thought I was in way over my head. But eventually, somehow, things just started working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment